Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The "Plan"

I've generally preferred "overland" adventures that tie into a "Campaign" as opposed to the typical "dungeon delving" . . . so that is what I'm looking to run with "Bluvardy".

Now one of the first problems that faced me was how "variant" from original "Dungeons & Dragons" would Bluvardy be?

As with almost all vardies, I intended to change the way "magic" operates. The big question was whether or not to change the combat system. In the end, I decided to leave it pretty much intact for my campaign.

Why?

Because that way, if I want to, I can use parts of old D&D dungeons or encounters without having to make major adjustments to the combat system. I don't really like everything about the D&D combat system . . . but it does work; and most gamers are familiar with it.

I've also liked the old Midkemia cities and encounter tables for operating inside cities. One of the things I need to do is to "build" some cities and populate them. As for the basic terrain, I might even use the old Judges Guild "Wilderland" maps (although with some appropriate changes) . . . or I might not . . . I haven't decided.

Anyway, I'm making a start on preparing my Bluvardy campaign.


-- Jeff



No comments: